Today is self-love day; for me self-love is a very difficult emotional journey as I have low self-esteem and low confidence due to past experiences. I often think people around me are talking negatively about me, I might be in a queue waiting to pay for something or I might just be walking to my class at college. I sometimes feel that I am too short or that I should be thinner. Self-love is so hard for me a because I can be positive about others but when I look at myself in the mirror I just see and think negatively for example the voices in my head say “Bryony you’re not tall enough” or “Bryony your outfit would look so much better if you were a small size.
At school I was bullied by some kids because I have curly hair so for a long while I hated having curly hair and the voices in my head would be like ” Bryony why do you have such frizzy hair it’s not all long and smooth it’s just a heap of frizz”.
Even though I have a long way to still go with my own self-love journey I thought I would share with you some of the things I try to show myself self-love and be more body positive.
- I love to just watch a TV program I like or go on YouTube and watch my favourite YouTubers.
2. I enjoy taking my dog for a walk and bringing my camera along too so I can practice my photography.
3. I enjoy trying out new makeup looks or trying out my new makeup products.
4. I enjoy watching one of my favourite films such as Mamma Mia or The Greatest Showman
5. If I have had a long day I enjoy having a lovely bubble bath sometimes adding in a Lush bath bomb.
6. I enjoy sometimes just doing some home baking and baking.
7. I really enjoy just sitting down and read a book or doing word searches.
With my past care coordinator we recently came up with the idea that I should try each day to say something positive about myself too myself. For example” Bryony I like the way you have done your hair today or” that colour top really suits you”. We also spoke about writing these statements down so when I am in a low place I can look at them.