Earlier this month I celebrated my 21st Birthday. My mum made me this delicious lemon and orange cake and I want to share the recipe with you. If you love lemon cake then you would probably find this cake on your top 10 list of favourite lemon cake recipes.
200g Soft Margarine
250g Caster Sugar
2 Large Eggs
200g Full Fat Natural Yogurt mixed with juice of 1/2 lemon, left covered at room temperature for 20 minutes
300g Plain Flour
3 Level tsp Baking Powder
2 Cake Tins (23cm) line base,grease sides
3 Oranges or Lemon Zest
1. Cream the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy, then add the eggs one at a time, and beat until well combined.
2. Beat in the finely grated zest of 3 oranges or 3 lemons and then add 50g of marmalade.
3. Beat in the yogurt mix.
4. Fold in the flour and baking powder thoroughly.
5. Spoon the mixture into the tins making sure you level off the tops.
6. Bake for 45 minutes at 160C fan / 180c normal.
7. Test with a skewer insert into the centre of the cake. Should come out clean if not cool for another 5-10 minutes.
Filing and Icing Top
1. Sandwich the cakes once cooled with orange marmalade or lemon butter icing.
2. Top with lemon juice, icing sugar a knob of butter beaten together.
3. Add a little chopped ginger in syrup if liked. You could also add a little zest too.